King Ranch, c.1,000,000 acres (404,700 hectares), S Tex., SW of Corpus Christi with headquarters at Kingsville, Tex.; one of the largest ranches in the world. It has several divisions, of which the best known is Santa Gertrudis, the "home" ranch. The Santa Gertrudis, the only true cattle breed developed in North America, was developed there. Thoroughbred racehorses are also raised. The ranch was founded in 1853 by Richard King, a steamboat captain. After King's death, the giant holdings were managed by his son-in-law, Robert Kleberg; later, Kleberg's son succeeded to the management. The property was divided in 1935, but the central ranches are still large enough to resemble a semifeudal domain. Profits from oil and natural gas rights and farming have been added to income gained from the great beef herds.
Article Reading Levels
- Level 3
Publisher: The Columbia University Press
Document Type: Brief article
Length: 131 words
Lexile Measure: 1010L
Full Text: The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia COPYRIGHT 2008 Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
- Subject Line: