Tiger sharks are growing to monster size by taking advantage of no-fishing zones set up by humans. The protected areas, aimed at restoring threatened fish populations, are also providing a feast for the sharks, allowing them to grow up to a third longer than usual.
• LIFESPAN: 20 to 50 years in the wild.
• HABITAT: Often in tropical and warm waters, in both the ocean and shallow coastal waters.
• SIZE: Typically three to five metres.
• DIET: Fish, other sharks, sea turtles and other sea life.
• FUN FACT: Tiger sharks get their name from the dark grey vertical stripes that run along the sides of their bodies.