The Influence of Scalded Flour, Fermentation, and Plants Belonging to Lamiaceae Family on the Wheat Bread Quality and Acrylamide Content

Citation metadata

From: Journal of Food Science(Vol. 83, Issue 6)
Publisher: Wiley Subscription Services, Inc.
Document Type: Author abstract; Report
Length: 222 words

Document controls

Main content

Abstract :

Byline: Elena Bartkiene, Vadims Bartkevics, Vita Krungleviciute, Iveta Pugajeva,Daiva Zadeike, Grazina Juodeikiene,Dalia Cizeikiene Keywords: acrylamide; Lactobacillus plantarum; Lamiaceae; scalded flour; wheat bread Abstract The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of additives such as plants belonging to Lamiaceae family (Thymus vulgaris, Carum carvi, Origanum vulgare, Ocimum basilicum, and Coriandrum sativum), scalded flour (SF) or scalded flour fermented with Lactobacillus plantarum LUHS135 (SFFLp) on the quality and acrylamide formation in wheat bread. The formation of acrylamide and bread quality significantly depended on the king of plants used and the amount of SF and SFFLp used. The additives of T. vulgaris and SF increased the content of acrylamide by 3.4-fold in comparison with bread prepared without SF, whereas the addition of SFFLp significantly reduced the content of acrylamide in bread, especially using 5% of SFFLp supplemented with O. vulgare and 15% of SFFLp supplemented with C. sativum (respectively by 40% and 29.4%) therefore could be recommended for safer bread production. Practical Application The addition of 5% (from total wheat flour content) of scalded wheat flour fermented with Lactobacillus plantarum LUHS135 strain (SFFLp) with Origanum vulgare addition, and 5% or 10% of SFFLp prepared with Ocimum basilicum, and 15% of SFFLp prepared with Coriandrum sativum significantly reduce the content of acrylamide in wheat bread, therefore could be recommended for safer bread production.

Source Citation

Source Citation   

Gale Document Number: GALE|A542304250